Gum Disease Treatment
Healthy gums are essential for a healthy mouth and teeth. That’s why if you think you have gum disease, consult your dentist as soon as possible.
Gum disease, referred to as periodontal disease, is one of the main causes of tooth loss.
As part of your general visit, your dentists at Buderim Park Dental will examine your mouth to determine if you have gum disease and recommend appropriate treatment if needed.
Important Facts about Gum Disease
- Gum disease affects a person’s gums and the bone that supports the teeth
- 20% of Australian adults have gum disease. The majority of them are unaware because it can be painless and shows no noticeable indications in the early stages
- Gum disease is the major cause of tooth loss.
Signs and Symptoms of Gum Disease
- Bleeding gums
- Red and swollen gums
- Loose teeth
- New spacing between teeth
- Pus discharge from the teeth and gums
- Painful gums
Treatments Available for Gum Disease
At Buderim Park Dental, we offer gum disease treatment done in different stages:
Stage 1 – Removal of plaque and calculus. This procedure might require 2 to 4 appointments, depending on how severe the disease is.
Stage 2 – Providing oral hygiene instructions, which includes brushing and flossing techniques.
Stage 3 – Educate the patients about smoking habits and advising possible changes in eating habits.
Stage 4 – We will create a long-term treatment plan. Your dentist will monitor your gums for improvement during your check-ups. If no improvements are observed, the dentist will refer you to a specialist.
During and After the Gum Treatment
- You will experience a slight discomfort during the treatment. Your dentist will use
local anaestheticto reduce the pain.
- Gums will become tender and swollen for a few days following the procedure.
- Teeth will become sensitive for around 1 week but this sensation will lessen over time.
- Gums will return to normal in a short time.
Gum Disease Solutions at Buderim Park Dental
Don’t let gum disease ruin your smile. With the help of your dental team at Buderim Park Dental, you can prevent the threat of gum disease. Preventing and fighting gum disease starts with good dental care and a commitment to visit your dentist regularly. Keeping a healthy lifestyle also helps!