Advantages of general dentistry at Maroochydore
Caries and bruxism are two of the most common oral diseases. In this sense, general dentistry is responsible for treating this and other series of pathologies. What are the advantages of your treatment report? In this post, we tell you, so, if you are interested, read on!
What is general dentistry?
First of all, what is general dentistry? It is a dental specialty that is responsible for solving those primary problems that affect the mouth: teeth, gums, upper and lower jaw, and temporomandibular joint. In most cases, it represents the initial contact between the patient and the dental professional.
- Prevents oral diseases
Within the general dentistry, there is a branch of preventive dentistry. This encompasses all those treatments and oral care that are intended to avoid pathologies and dental problems.
Thanks to preventive dentistry, the patient carries out a healthy diet, proper oral hygiene, and regularly visits the dentist, preventing the occurrence of possible oral diseases.
- It allows you to save time and money
To the previous point, general dentistry implies a considerable saving of time and money, since it anticipates possible oral diseases that can be more serious and expensive.
- Minimally invasive treatments
General dentistry tries to repair damaged dental pieces, following the principle of dental preservation. For this, minimally invasive measures are established, avoiding extraction and, at the same time, recovering the functionality of the affected tooth.
- Biocompatible materials
Regardless of the treatment carried out, the materials we use in Maroochydore Dental Clinic are biocompatible with the organism, so they do not cause rejection or allergic reactions in the patient.
- Solve the problem of tooth decay
Thanks to dental fillings, one of the general dentistry treatments, the problem of dental caries are solved. Thus, it is possible to recover the functionality of the damaged tooth quickly and painlessly.
- End with gingivitis
General dentistry is responsible for treating gingivitis, which is the first stage of periodontal disease, through professional cleaning, eliminating tartar, and accumulated bacterial plaque.
- Solve bruxism problems
Another problem that solves general dentistry is bruxism. To do this, custom dental splints are designed with which the patient improves his rest by protecting his smile and, therefore, recovers his quality of life.
At Maroochydore Dental Clinic, we have a team of general dentists who will be in charge of helping you solve all your oral problems. If you want to know more detailed information, do not hesitate to contact us or go to our dental clinic in Maroochydore. We will be happy to assist you!
Dry mouth syndrome, or xerostomia in medical terms, is a condition in which your mouth is not generating enough saliva to keep your mouth wet.
Sometimes dry mouth syndrome is just a nuisance, but some people find it affects their health, teeth and gums, and even their quality of life. It is often a side-effect of medicines, so talk to your dentist if you think you have dry mouth syndrome.
Saliva is produced by the salivary glands in your mouth. It plays an important role in washing away food from your teeth, keeping bacteria under control in your mouth, helping you taste, chew and swallow, and in helping digestion.
Dry mouth syndrome refers to when the salivary glands stop producing enough saliva. This can happen for many reasons, few of them have been listed here under causes of dry mouth:
What Causes Dry Mouth:
- It can be as a side-effect of many medicines, including those you buy over the counter
- If you are getting older
- If you had chemotherapy for cancer
- Incase of nerve damage to your head or neck
- Special health conditions such as diabetes, stroke, yeast infection (thrush) in your mouth, or Alzheimer’s disease
- If are are experiencing anxiety and stress
- If you are snoring
- When you are drinking a lot of alcohol or soft drinks
- If you are addicted to chewing tobacco
- If you are using drugs such as methamphetamines or marijuana
Managing Dry Mouth
- Dry mouth can be controlled and avoided by sipping water regularly (but avoiding sugary drinks, fruit juice or cordial)
- Dry mouth can be avoided or reduced if you are rinsing your mouth with water after you eat
- Try to chew sugar-free gum to stimulate saliva
- quitting smoking
- avoiding foods that irritate your mouth, such as citrus foods, spicy foods, foods with sharp edges like crackers or chips, or alcohol
- trying to breathe through your nose rather than your mouth
- keeping the air in your bedroom moist with a humidifier
- using moisturiser on your lips, preferably with SPF 30+ sunblock
Diagnosis and Treatment
Sometimes dry mouth syndrome can be easily fixed if you stop taking the medicine that is causing it. However, you should not make changes to your medication without first consulting your doctor.
Your dentist will also recommend products to keep your mouth moist and to protect against tooth decay, such as mouth washes, moisturisers or artificial saliva. There are also medicines available to stimulate your salivary glands to produce saliva.
It is important to treat problems in your mouth caused by dry mouth syndrome, such as thrush, mouth ulcers and dental problems.
Your dentist will have a close look at your mouth and will ask about any medicines you are taking. Sometimes they may order tests, including blood tests or imaging to see why the salivary glands aren’t working or whether there is another medical reason for the problem. Talk to one of our caring team members at 07 5445 6577
Special Offers for New Patients
As the local dentist in Buderim we would like to help you with most care and love.
If you are visiting us for the first time, we encourage you to take advantage of our outstanding customer service and special offers just for new patients. Schedule an appointment today at Buderim Park Dental by calling 07 5445 6577, and get:
- Comprehensive examination
- X-rays (2)
- Fluoride treatment, oral hygiene instructions
- Complete treatment planning
All for a low cost of $175!